Trick or Treating can be fun, yet spooky for parents of children with allergies and asthma. Triggers hide like ghosts everywhere, and not only in treats.
Like all the invisible ingredients in a deviled egg, inexpensive makeup can contain ghostly allergens. Test the products in a small area of skin days before to avoid unpleasant surprises or unwanted reactions.
Storing last year’s costumes in the attic can be a smart recycling and money-saving tip, but when reusing them be careful of mold, moths and dust mites. Make sure you clean them properly in order to rid them of any haunting allergens.
The Pumpkin Patch
Ever heard of allergy to pumpkin? Although very rare, this can also prompt a serious allergic reaction in a child with a pumpkin allergy. Be very careful of accidentally unveiling this allergy while choosing your Jack-O-Lantern this Halloween. Be aware of mold, dust and spiders while at your local pumpkin patch or store.
READ THE LABELS for the most common allergy-inducing enemies: peanuts, tree-nuts, cow milk, soy milk, egg, sesame seeds, corn, wheat. And keep in mind it’s not only allergies children must be mindful of, excessive amounts of their favorite candy corn, cotton candy, candied apples, chocolate bars and other tasty treats can send children straight to the dentist or worst, the ER.
Stay in a group when trick-or-treating through neighborhood streets.
Avoid eating candy you’re not familiar with and carry hand wipes in case of accidental exposure.
Feel free to say “no thank you” to treats you are allergic to.
Epinephrine, cell phone and emergency contact should always be carried in case of an allergic reaction.