Let’s leave the “scary” to the haunted houses, the costumes and yard decorations, prepare in advance and be confident that Halloween night will be memorable.
We want you to celebrate Halloween and exchange fear for fun. Let’s leave the “scary” to the haunted houses, the costumes and yard decorations, prepare in advance and be confident that Halloween night will be memorable.
Like all the invisible ingredients in a deviled egg, inexpensive makeup can contain ghostly allergens. Test the products in a small area of skin days before to avoid unpleasant surprises or unwanted reactions.
Storing last year’s costumes in the attic can be a smart recycling and money-saving tip, but when reusing them be careful of mold, moths and dust mites. Make sure you clean them properly in order to rid them of any haunting allergens.
Ever heard of an allergy to pumpkin? Although very rare, this can also prompt a serious allergic reaction. Be very careful of accidentally unveiling this allergy while choosing your Jack-O-Lantern this Halloween. Be aware of mold, dust, and spiders while at your local pumpkin patch or store. Simply carving a face in a pumpkin can bring on wheezing, sneezing, eyelid swelling and chest tightness in a child who’s allergic to pumpkin. Parents should supervise a child with allergies for related symptoms. Similar to other food allergies, raw is more likely to cause problems than cooked.
READ THE LABELS for the most common allergy-inducing enemies: peanuts, tree nuts, cow milk, soy milk, egg, sesame seeds, corn, wheat. Keep in mind it’s not only allergies that children must be aware of, but excessive amounts of their favorite candy corn, cotton candy, candied apples, chocolate bars and other tasty treats can also send children straight to the dentist, or worst, the ER. Remember of cross-contamination, it would be preferable that children wear gloves to avoid physical contact.
TEAL-O-WEEN is an initiative that intends to make Halloween safer and an inclusive celebration. The community, led by organizations such as AAFA and FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education) has come together to support the Teal Pumpkin Project. Teal is the color chosen to raise awareness for food allergy, showcasing a teal colored pumpkin means that there are non-food treats available for food allergy patients. How simple is that?
It takes some Trick-or-treating precautions that begin with:
1. A parent or guardian familiar with the child’s allergies should accompany the child at all times, as well as carry and be trained in using emergency medications like an EpiPen.
2. Have a cell phone with you at all times.
3. A full stomach may also decrease the candy consumption. Have your child eat dinner before going trick-or-treating, so they won’t be tempted to eat while out.
4. Have your child trade the candy he or she collects for a wrapped present, or trade them for skipped chores or privileges at home.
5. When all else fails, you can put your own spin on Halloween fun and plan a different activity instead of trick-or-treating such as a scavenger hunt for safe treats.
“If your child suffers from allergies, we cannot stress enough the importance of always being aware of their surroundings. This Halloween, be mindful of the fact that allergens are everywhere – not just in the “fun-size” candy itself – but also on the hands and faces of other children who are eating the edible treats as they go door to door. Additionally, if your child’s costume requires any kind of make-up or face paint, beware! Some face paints may contain common allergens such as soy or nut oils. Check ingredients carefully before applying. Last but not least, remember to take a safety kit with you which must include: wet wipes to constantly clean your hands of any possible allergen contamination, your child’s epinephrine auto-injector (EpiPen), and a charged cell phone to dial 911 in case of an emergency,” says Dr. Zevy Landman.
Have a S.A.F.E. Halloween and download our Teal Pumpkin Mask!
Stay in a group when trick-or-treating through neighborhood streets.
Avoid eating candy you’re not familiar with and carry hand wipes in case of accidental exposure.
Feel free to say “no thank you” to treats you are allergic to.
Epinephrine, cell phone, and emergency contact should always be carried in case of an allergic reaction.